Thursday, February 16, 2006

Guess who coined these sayings.


Who do you think may have coined these neat little sayings?

"The glory of God is intelligence."

"It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance."

"A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge."

"Knowledge saves a man, and in the world of spirits no man can be exalted but by knowledge."

"Whatsoever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life will rise with us in the resurrection."

"If one man, by his diligence, obtains more knowledge than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."

""Adam fell that man might be, and men are that they might have joy."

"This is the glory of God—to bring to pass the immortality and the eternal life of man."

"If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves."

"Jesus was in the beginning with the Father. * * * Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be."


If you did not say Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism you are wrong.

I was way off myself and will not humiliate myself by enumerating all of my incorrect assumptions Let it be enough to say I never would have guessed it if I had all day. The Mormonism I’m aware of seems to have morphed into something completely different than that which is represented in these sayings. I can’t wait to ask a couple of LDS neighbors about it and hear there take on things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Troy Pierce said...

There are many interesting parallels between some of Joseph Smith's and early Mormon materials and Gnosticism.

I usually consider Mormonism, from a Gnostic perspective, as a failed Gnosticism. They have an almost Valentinian sense of the Demiurge, but decided to stick with him as the ultimate God image anyway. With that comes fear of power, authority, orthodoxy, etc. Combined with history that gives you the modern incarnation. Again from a Gnostic perspective, this tendency can be summed up as: "follow until you can become your own Demiurge."

But then, in SLC this comes up a lot. ;)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home